The buying and selling of Native American young people has increased in towns such as Williston, North Dakota. These sex slaves and others of different heritages began being pimped immediately following the colonization of “man camps” in Williston. These collections of trailers have cropped up as the demand for workers grows well beyond what towns are capable of handling.

Such man camps have been acknowledged by mass media sites such as Bloomberg, though the specific mention of their impact on violent crime is typically limited to local news sources such as the one cited above.

In Williston, long-time North Dakota residents have expressed concerns about the recently developed slave trade.

“When you have a big oil boom like this, it brings big city problems with it,” former Williston fixture Mike Bartel said to the the Williston Herald last year. Citing statistics linked to the trend and expressing a hope to work together with oil companies, he said the following:

There’s a need to protect our own kids in our schools… There’s just a vulnerability in 15-year-old girls when there’s so much money flowing into an area, and so many guys running around promising the world.

The trend in North Dakota mimics what has been seen in Canada in recent years. In addition to the crime and apparent cause being the same, the racial demographic of victims has remained consistent. The Canadian Department of Justice has released a study showing that violent crime is far more likely to happen to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people.

31 thoughts on “Trafficking of Native women begins in fracking towns after influx of oil workers

1. Rachel Knight says:

There have been attempts to hire more police officers and add space to hospitals as a result of heightened crime in general. Unfortunately, these attempts have largely been in vain due to financial pressures and the sheer number of people coming in at one time.

1. CapitalistPig says:

Tragic ! But lets call it for what it really is and that is” prostitution” which is completely voluntary.

1. Rachel Knight says:

I’ll copy and paste a reply I left for another commenter. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

These girls were kidnapped from their homes. Many are fourteen years old or younger. According to local reports (which I have not published, as I have very high standards for the veracity of sources) there are many boys of far younger ages who have been kidnapped and forced into the sex trade. This is statistically quite true of young men who are stolen from their families and forced to engage in sexual relations.

Girls who are kidnapped, chained, raped, starved until they will “consent” to sex, and beaten have no choice in the matter. “Sex worker” also implies that they are making a profit. They are making no money whatsoever.

“Slave” does not imply any wrongdoing on the part of the victim. This is not to say that “sex worker” does, but I believe you thought of the word “slave” as being disparaging. Rather, the word “slaves” implies evil on the part of the kidnappers.

Thank you for your comment. I believe it came from an empathic place.

2. colleenpatriciawilliams says:

Your post shows a total ignorance of the subject; most of these women are NOT there voluntarily. But it is much easier to blame the female victim rather than the male purchaser and the male pimps.

3. hlehman (@hlehman) says:

CapitalistPig indeed. Your comment is completely ignorant. Did you have to practice being so deliberately stupid? While the reply that you were given about the situation at hand for so many young people, and young girls in particular, is kind and informative, I choose to address your ridiculousness in posting something blatantly idiotic and demeaning on this article. You achieved your goal! You are the biggest trolling, asshat on this comment thread.

4. gigi says:

fuck you and the horse you rode in on ….you are probably a “john ” therefore reveals the coldness of your remarks …u r part of the nitemare that colonized this country..how bowt your daughter starts “working ” selling her body ..what would you say then

2. Roy Nielsen says:

I am a Vietnam Veteran and have a comment for CapitalistPig; “It is sad that you casually want to cookie cutter these girls into such a small mindset. My wife and I were house parents to 22-teenage girls; the facility called them “Troubled Teens”, I refused to put such a label on them; I wonder what you might call them.

1. Ogitchida says:

First time I ever heard or even seen an article relating to this …. Need to see more !!! WHY? haven’t I heard more of this – I am a North American Anishinabe and consider myself ‘up to date’ on everything concerning my relations!!! I will look into this more !!

1. Rachel Knight says:

Absolutely. I work for Save Wįyąbi Project. Feel free to follow the organization on Facebook. I don’t run the social media accounts, but they are a good way to stay connected to the organization:

Please feel free to email me anytime. My email address is on the “About” page. You are also welcome to comment about anything on here. Have a great day, and thanks for connecting!

2. Susan savage says:

This is very sad and traumatic! Women are sacred. We are givers of life. Men look at women as a piece of ass to satisfy their own needs damaging our spirits minds hearts and bodies. This is sickening and heartwrenching. Prayers to all!

3. Steen says:

Totally infuriated! If fracking wasn’t bad enough!! Now this. And since their ‘man camps’ are bringing in all of this crime and degradation, the oil companies should be fitting the bill for the extra security and safety needed. Lord knows they can afford it…I’m sorry, but this really ticks me off…Thank you for posting it. Now I have to put my “wings” in motion and piss some people off enough to do something about this.

4. Maga says:

How sad our children are so vulnerable, it seems like when these types of tent and trailer cities pop up and so many transient workers show up you get a real mix of problems, I am hoping that there are those among these workers that have the heart to report these sick bastards when they see this happening, my prayers go out to our young ones…

1. Rachel Knight says:

Thank you for your comment. I believe it came from an empathic place.

5. Susan D says:

Not only are girls being exploited lets not forget the kinds of people who are coming into this region. Two months ago a prison case worker from the East coast who is also an online instructor told a student here in North Dakota. “Today three (3) inmates were released and all were headed for the North Dakota oil fields”. Wow. Scary thought!

6. John R. Goodson says:

The vast majority of sex workers are under age and are there by force. Only the Hollywood Pimp Culture of movies and television make them all look like independent contractors living some high life. Most of the victims of human trafficking are runaways or throwaways looking for something to eat and a warm place to sleep.

7. Britt S. says:

I’m sorry but ‘attempts’ to add more police officers and hospitals isn’t working because of financial issues? WHAT!? There are ‘man camps’ set up all over and they get paid…. Enough. I don’t think not enough finance to accommodate girls who get kidnapped and raped is a reasonable argument. It’s a sad excuse for a society to even exist. This should never happen and there should never be an excuse to let it happen.

8. Bob Schmetzer says:

Nelson Mandela said ” Poverty is no accident. Like slavery and apartheid, it is man made and can be removed by the actions of human beings.” Easy money and exploitation of children are crimes committed by bullies and people who don’t care about themselves nor others. Young men will always look for women. They will get drunk and high on drugs and their money will buy anything they want. There will always be a supplier. Its not what this world has come to, but what it always has been. I don’t see it changing until poverty and greed is overcome.